Happy Christmas from everyone at Jeans for Genes Day! Whether you are looking for fundraising inspiration or gift ideas, we’ve got everything you need to get into the festive spirit this winter.
Today we are gearing up for the big Christmas count down with a wonderful denim advent calendar!
- First of all lay out your large piece of denim; this will be your base for the calendar! If you are using a few pair of jeans sewn together, please sew together and iron first.
- Taking one of your coloured fabrics, draw out numbers from 1 to 24, then proceed to cut out.
- Take your other colourer fabric and create squares for these numbers to sit in. Make sure they are big enough by using a ruler and pencil to measure the numbers.
- Now place each numbers on top of a square and pin into place. You can always tack this with thread if you are a sewing machine novis!
- Sew the numbers and squares together.
- Next using a pencil draw out a grid formation for where your pockets will be placed. You can again use the ruler for this to make it equal or go with a more free spirited effect!
- Pin the pockets in place and sew to background, making sure to leave the top of the pockets open.
- Now take your thick ribbon and make five evenly spaced individual loops across the top of the calendar, sewing this down firmly.
- Once this is completed take an old broom handle and slot through the ribbon loops. You will now need to secure the hooks on the wall as your denim calendar is now ready to hang!
- Finally fill with Christmas treats!
This calendar would be perfect for your office; you could charge a fee for opening each pocket and donate this to Jeans for Genes Day!
Next week we will show you how to make your own…
Jeans for Genes Day tree decoration!